Rocky Road Chocolate Cake
Makes 8-10 servings
Prep: 15 min.
Cook: 3 hr., 40 min. (you may want to add 10-15 min, to the cooking time)
Stand: 15 min.
1 (18.25-oz.) package German chocolate cake mix
1 (3.9-oz) package chocolate instant pudding mix
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 1/4 cups milk, divided
1(3.4-oz.) package chocolate cook-and-serve pudding mix
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2 cup miniature marshmallows
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Beat cake mix, next 5 ingredients, and 1 1/4 cups milk at medium speed for 2 min. with an electric mixer, scrape sides as needed. Pour batter into a lightly greased 4-qt slow cooker.
- Cook remaining 2 cups milk in a heavy non-aluminum saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, 3 to 5 minutes or just until bubbles appear (don't boil); remove from heat.
- Sprinkle cook-and-serve pudding mix over batter. Slowly pour hot milk over pudding. Cook and cover on LOW 3 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, heat pecans in a small non-stick skillet over medium-low heat, stirring often, 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant.
- Turn off slow cooker. Sprinkle cake with pecans, marshmallows, and chocolate chips. Let stand 15 minutes or until marshmallows are slightly melted. Spoon into dessert bowls (serve with vanilla ice cream - optional).